Manley Mere is an outdoor activities centre, centrally situated in the heart of the Cheshire countryside. On site we have a lake and watersports centre, a large adventure trail and orienteering course and woodland areas containing many indigenous trees and a large variety of wildlife and water birds.
Our excellent facilities, experienced and qualified staff and wide range of equipment and activities all serve to provide a stimulating experience for your learners. Catering for all primary and secondary age groups, our facilities are large enough to accommodate up to 200 pupils and we are flexible and keen to put together a programme that meets your needs.
- Multi-activity fun sessions
- Team-building/interpersonal skills activities
- NGB-recognised RYA dinghy/windsurf and BCU canoe/kayak sessions for all levels
- Curriculum-enhancement courses for geography, science and PE
A Wide Choice
Courses can include any of these activities:
- Canoeing & Kayaking
- Orienteering and treasure hunts
- Raft-building and team games
- Adventure trail and assault course
- Classroom and outdoor learning space
Here at Manley Mere, our aim is to provide schools and staff with a straightforward, easy to manage solution to your outdoor learning and adventure needs Our knowledgeable and enthusiastic staff are ready to help you plan, organise and conduct a successful trip – and most importantly – ensure a memorable and enjoyable time for your learners.
Here at Manley Mere we believe in having the best equipment with great instructors in an exciting and inspirational environment giving youngsters a fantastic experience. Our watersports programmes can work towards nationally recognised qualifications or a full multiactivity programme gives a taster of a wide range of activities.
RYA Dinghy Sailing and Windsurfing Courses
Thanks to modern technology, these fun and exhilarating sports are accessible and easy to learn. At Manley Mere we offer everything from 2-hour taster sessions to full 2-day courses leading to RYA certificates.
- Build personal confidence through learning new skills
- Understand natural forces and harness the elements
- Discover the science behind sailing – forces and motion, weather and tides
BCU Canoe and Kayak Courses
Still the easiest and most economical way to get a group out on the water; Canoeing and Kayaking are highly accessible and youngsters gain a sense of freedom as well as achievement. We offer a range of session choices from 1-hour introductions to full BCU courses.
- An engaging hands-on practical activity
- Great exercise – challenge perceptions about health and the outdoors
Raft-Building, Stand-Up-Paddleboarding and Team Games
These activities are great for getting youngsters working together and building confidence. Our instructors are full of ideas to challenge and develop learners, whilst also ensuring the activities are safe and enjoyable.
- Build team-working skills
- Learn to communicate with peers in order to accomplish new challenges
- Build decision-making skills and risk awareness
Our multi-activity courses enable a wide range of sports to be sampled to see what inspires different members of your group. Half-day or full-day sessions can be arranged or combined with the Adventure Trail and Orienteering options to provide an action-packed visit.
- Our most popular programme
- Fantastic for improving water confidence and learning new skills
- Full-on fun for everyone
All watersports activities at Manley Mere are led and supervised by our RYA and BCU qualified instructors. All specialist clothing and equipment (wetsuits, buoyancy-aids) are provided.
The Adventure Trail, Orienteering and Outdoor Learning
The Adventure Trail is a mile and a half long and takes about two hours to complete. The trail runs in woodland alongside a stream with objects to climb on, over, or to swing off, slide down, or spin around. Many activities require propulsion from an energetic friend – as a result it’s great for team building and laughs are guaranteed.
- Great fun for groups of all ages – enjoyment (and mud) guaranteed!
- Figure out the workings and design of the apparatus
- Builds an awareness of risks and hazards and encourages personal decision-making
Orienteering/GPS Style Orienteering/Treasure Hunt/Themed Activities
Orienteering is a great way to get out into the countryside, get fit and learn new skills. The aim is to navigate a course using a map and/or compass or GPS, decide on the best route and (if you are racing) get to the finish as quickly as possible! Here at Manley Mere we have developed a number of routes of different lengths and difficulty so there’s something suitable for every group.
- Build navigation & map/compass reading skills
- Develop team work and group problem solving abilities
- Great exercise - building confidence, stamina and mental determination
When delivered correctly, outdoor education offers a fantastic opportunity for students and staff to discover themselves and the world around them, whilst at the same time learning new skills. Taking part in adventurous activities in an out-of-school environment can present you with unique opportunities to observe your young people and often see them in a different light.
At Manley Mere, we can work with you to tailor any of our courses to integrate with your school curriculum. We can also offer you the facilities to run outdoor education sessions in our classroom or quiet woodland area, reserved exclusively for your group. Here are just a couple of ways a session at Manley Mere can inspire your learners:
- Geography, sustainable development and diversification – Manley Mere used to be a dairy farm. Discover how the business has developed into a thriving outdoor activity centre and have a go at some of the activities on offer.
- Physics, forces and motion – Learn how a sail produces power and the forces on a sailing boat. Experiment with your new knowledge and try to keep the forces in balance – or you’ll get wet!
Adventure Trail, orienteering and outdoor learning sessions are supervised by your staff. The Adventure Trail is inspected by RPII inspector and comprehensive risk assessments and health and safety guidance is available. Everyone doing the trail will be asked to sign a risk assessment and disclaimer on arrival.
School/Group Prices 2016
A half day watersports activity costs from £22.50PP, a full day of watersports activity costs from £42pp. Our famous Manley Mere Adventure Trail is normally £10 but can cost as little as £7.50pp (minimum 20). All prices exclude vat @20%
Our mixed activity day course costs from £30 per child. A sample day would be:Group arrives by 10am: Introduction to centre and staff
Morning sessions 10am – 12pm
Group divided into two groups A & B
Group A: Adventure Trail/Orienteering (supervised by your staff)
Group bottom: Watersports activities (supervised by our RYA-qualified instructors)
Lunch break 12.15 - 12.45
The Chameleon Bar & Restaurant is on site and can cater to your requirements or alternatively you can bring packed lunches to be eaten on our outside picnic tables.
Afternoon sessions 1 – 3pm
Group A: Watersports activities
Group B: Adventure Trail
Debrief, group photos and departure 3.30pm
Please contact us on 01928 740243 or by email to discuss the options available and get firm prices for your school group.