Open Water Swimming
Manley mere has offered open water swimming for a number of years and offers an open water swimming experience like no other. our site caters for numourise Watersports and with an experience staff team we ensure that we provide a open water swimming session to suit all abilities and levels of experience.
6pm - 8pm May-Sep
10am - 11:30am last swim 21st Dec 19
-Cubicled changing Facilities
-Multiple Swim Distances
Chameleon Cafe open available for food and hot drinks
-Swim safety team
-Free car parking
-Timing and distance monitoring
-Swim Wetsuit Rental
-Water Quality tested Regularly
If you are wanting to try out open water swimming and don't want to join as a member with NOWCAwe have the option of swimming as a GUEST.
As part of our agreement with NOWCA we are only able to allow a guest swimmer to swim with us 3 times before NOWCA membership is required.
To swim as a guest drop into the shop and let us know you want to swim as a guest and you will be asked to complete an online temporary form.
GUEST SWIM £10
So you've decided to get into open water swimming Great!!
when you arrive the side gate will be open for you (there is no need to pay the £2 parking fee)
- Drop into the shop and either let us know you are picking up your band, scan your band on our scanner or fill in the guest swimmer form
- pay for your swim:
- Get changed: we have changing room on the side of the building
- once changed come to the beach: at the beach you will meet a member of our staff team who can inform you on the swim distances, safety procedure and any helpful tips
- Don't hold off any more and take to the water
- once you are finished scan your band out at the beach and give them your distance
- Get changed and warm up
- Treat yourself the chameleon cafe is open during every swim offering a range of hot drinks and sweet treats
- Swim Hat (without this you will be unable to swim)
- Swimming costume
- Swim wetsuit (These are optional but highly recommended swimming with out one is for experienced swimmer only)(rental wetsuit are available from £10)
- NOWCA Swim band (unless you are a guest or picking it up)
- neoprene gloves, socks, hat
- flip flops
- nose plug, ear plug
- dry robe
We are partners with Zone 3and have a wide selection of sizes available to choose from
We don't sell these wetsuits at the end of the season as we are charged full retail price meaning that we aren't able to offer suitable discounts on these wetsuits. however If you would like to pick up a swim wetsuit or check out the range
Open water swimming has its inherent risks so before you enter into the water we would recommend that you can swim 50m+ with out assistance.
Cold water shock
The average temperature of the lake is roughly 15C this is cold enough if you are unprepared to suffer from cold water shock. To prevent this we recommend that participant were wetsuits to keep yourselves warmer in the water and to do some warm up exerciseses before heading off for a larger lap
if you do get into trouble the simplest solution is to swim to the nearest edge as the lake depth makes it possible to stand up in most locations. alternatively swim to the nearest marker bouy and hold one.
If you are unable to get to a place of rest you can attract attention by laying on your back and raising your arm in the air and shouting out for assistance.
Our swims are always covered by powerboats and SUP safety teams but due to the number of swimmers and the distances involved it will take a couple of seconds to reach you.
Car parking is Free
for all swimmers the side gate will be opened 30 minutes before the start of the swim to allow people to get changed and get their swim credit
YES *experienced swimmer only*
We do allow for swimmers to swim with out a wetsuit but would recommend that you swim with it on first to allow yourself to warm up before taking it off.
During the height of summer the water temperature can reach 20C+ so wetsuits are less used by swimmers